Friday, June 8, 2012

Kids to Kids

Learning to share across the world....

Miriam Powell, Executive Director of the Pennsylvania Pink Zone and a member of Mothers & More in State College sent me an email this spring after learning about my work in Rwanda. She shared, "As a former world cultures teacher, I spent quite a bit of time teaching my students about the civil war in Rwanda and discussing the lasting effects it had on modern African nations." She asked, "What is the name of the children's home and what are their ages and circumstances? And how does someone get involved with helping?"

She enthusiastically shared my story with moms and kids in Mothers & More. There's no slowing her down. You know what I mean if you ever met her! She thought the moms and kids would be thrilled to gather educational toys, games and books for me to take in August. And that's just what they did.

I had goosebumps and a lump in my throat when I saw what they collected....so many beautiful, colorful toys that will be very loved by the children at the Urukundo Home and Cyakabiri Preschool.

Duplo Legos, baby toys, cars and trucks, games, puzzles, wonderful books for all ages, a snuggly stuffed rabbit and more!

Mothers & More is a non-profit organization dedicated to improving the lives of mothers through support, education and advocacy. Part of their mission is being involved in community service. Most has been local but they were looking forward to doing something global. http://mothersandmorestatecollege.com

Thank you moms and kids.

Photos:
*Mothers & their sweet kids and all they collected.
*Miriam & her boys made a difference.
*Miriam and Michael finding Rwanda.
*Michael and Joseph loading my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment