Friday, January 10, 2014

Poem

Solange, 19 years old and living in the US. In 2006 she came to Mama Arlene and the Urukundo Home for Children. She was 12 years old and needed a safe haven. She needed love, spiritual nurturing, healthcare and an education. Thank goodness she found this home as she also had severe asthma. So severe that when she was 18 she came to Texas to live with her sponsor family. There she attended high school and a year later, this fall she started taking classes at a small college in Texas.

This is a poem she wrote for Mama Arlene for her birthday. It is a tradition at Urukundo, to write poems as a gift to celebrate a birthday.

"Love Found Me" ~~Solange

I remember when I came into your life
A lost and lonely child,
Overwhelmed with sadness and loneliness,
Yet, you took me into your home and heart.
Since then, I've never been the same.
You lovingly took me under your wings
Giving freely and openly praise and affection
I very desperately needed.
All the while expecting nothing in return.

You're a wise, strong and happy person everyday
No matter what the circumstances are.
For you are my inspiration to all my aspirations.
I am a student who never copies and pastes,
But these characteristics I respectfully copied from you
Amazingly they came naturally.
You're the source to what I have.
You showed me love and understanding.
I love how you treat us with respect
And fairness.

Did I recently find out that
I am an innovative learner?
The secret is that I am also a visual learner.
I learned so much from watching you
Mummy, because I love you so much,
You will always be in my heart -
Even though we're apart
The distance does not make a difference.
You already made a difference in so many people's lives.
And I will cherish your love and kindness forever.

This photo was taken in June 2013 upon Her graduation from high school. Arlene was thrilled to be back in the US for a month so she could attend this very special event.

No comments:

Post a Comment