Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Sofia, Art, Water

I received a call from Sofia in April saying she was a high school student and had collected money for a water project. She spoke with another teacher in the district, a third grade teacher whose students raised money for a water tank for Hope Made Real and was directed to me. After sharing about Hope Made Real and sending photos she called me back and said she definitely wanted to help us purchase a water tank for the Urukundo School. This is another great example of youth making a difference in the world!!!!! Here is Sofia's story.........

Sofia, senior project State High, State College, PA

"The world water day project started when my master studio teacher, Maure Irwin-Furmanek suggested that we should find a way to raise money for world water day. I had the idea for each of us to create an art piece, and have students vote on their personal favorite using their spare change.

Maure made the decision to put me in charge of the project, and I used it as my senior project credit. So we all created an art piece, and for three days we held the voting. In the end we raised a little over a hundred dollars, with Grant Donghia being the student who raised the most money (he's third from the right in the group photo).

During the research that went into the artwork we all learned a lot about unclean or unavailable water and what we can do to help. I was really honored to be able to work on this kind of project, and I was pleased with how much money was donated and especially the cause that it's going to. Everybody deserves clean, safe water and I encourage others to help the cause."


*Sofia
*Winning Art Piece
*Another entry
*Art Class - winning artist is 3rd from right
*Students voting









1 comment: