Tuesday, August 14, 2012

God Moment

I am often asked how I decide when to go to Rwanda. I have said we NEED to be there when all the kids are there, when all the teens are home from secondary school which is a boarding school. One person asked, "is there something they need from us that we need to be there?" I say, "no it's what we receive from them. It is how they fill our hearts."

This is so similar to what I have received from the children and teens at St. Paul's. The fullness in my heart knowing they are serving in missions with joy.

And the God Moment came during devotions with the team and all the youth this evening. Ornella, a Rwandese, a senior at Ripon College in Wisconsin and the founder of the Hug Movement was visiting Urukundo for several days as her organization recognized Mama Arlene's work.

This evening she had a special message prepared but as she walked toward the gathering she heard the drums. She held her Bible and on her way chose something different. She chose to speak on I Timothy 4:12. She said, "this is the first time I have heard God speak clearly in a long time. The message would be about the youth, not about me." Every voice has a purpose.

I Timothy 4:12 Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity.

You see we all knew Kira, a PSU and Wesley student on our team, had selected this as her special scripture for the prayer calendar.

I asked Kira to share her thoughts as it spoke to her, "It was an amazing God Moment when Ornella chose this passage as the basis for the message today. The words of the scripture really resonated throughout the duration of the devotion. Here was a group of teenagers leading a very moving devotional to praise our God. I think a lot of Americans view the children of Africa as not having very much, whether in terms of material things or potential. But I want everyone to know that these teenagers have so much to their name. They have loving friends, a wonderful home, Mama Arlene, schooling, the dreams of their future and incredibly large hearts for God. It has been a blessing to meet them and I look forward to continuing to be inspired by them during the rest of our stay here."

Photos of the teens will be added as electricity just went out.

*Deborah and Giselle
*Esperanze and friend
*Watching basketball
*Playing basketball. That's our Dan airborne.
*Tressor 11th grader studying physics

No comments:

Post a Comment