Saturday, August 11, 2012

A Teen's Reflection

Megan Perdew, a member of St. Paul's UMC and a senior at State College High, shared with me her thoughts about being involved with Rwanda.

"I have been a part of St. Paul's United Methodist Church for as long as I can remember, I have practically grown up in this church. However, I never came across a mission project that interested me as much as the mission work our church is doing in Rwanda.

I was excited to hear that I could help people there who are teenagers like me. More specifically, I volunteered to help collect clothing, DVD's, CD's, and a few other items for teenagers living in Rwanda who do not have the privileges that I and so many of my peers take for granted.

For instance, I often hear my friends complaining about their parents not being willing to buy them an iPhone, or the new iPod, while some of the teenagers living in Rwanda are grateful for just a new pair of jeans. By collecting these things for people my own age, I felt a greater connection to the individuals who will be receiving them.

In addition, I was happy to participate in this mission since it enabled me to directly help people who could very well be my friends if we went to high school together." ~~ Megan Perdew

This is what missions is about, connecting our youth and giving them opportunities to become leaders among their friends and in the church.

Megan recruited several friends from church that helped sort and pack what they collected. Over 151lbs of clothing, CD's, DVD's and books. The children will love the soccer ball someone donated.

Thank you Megan, Claudia, Haley, Sylvia for sorting and packing. Thank you Liz for helping by dropping off several pairs of jeans.



No comments:

Post a Comment