Saturday, April 6, 2013

Sewing Gifts

When it was decided rather quickly to open a sewing enterprise at Urukundo Home and Learning Center I knew we would need many sewing supplies. Five sewing machines were purchased and the excitement began.

My first call was to Barb Taylor to help write a list of supplies we would need. Next was to see if she could get a discount at Joann Fabrics. With many coupons I purchased scissors, needles, pins, patterns, cutting mats and seam rippers.

Emails went out to all the circles at St. Paul's United Methodist Church and friends, asking for supplies they already had at home. I asked they not purchase anything. Donate from what they had at home. Thirty-four women donated thread, zippers, seam binding, button sets, Velcro and elastic. All of that, as well as the items I purchased filled 2 huge plastic tubs.

Many shared stories that the sewing supplies they gave were from their grandmother's, mother's or mother-in-law's sewing baskets. Others were downsizing and said it was perfect timing. All were thrilled to help.

How was I ever going to sort all the supplies that kept coming in? Janet Mitchell and her granddaughter, Kate Butler and Nancy Hatch volunteered to sort for almost three hours the Friday before I left. And we did it!!!!

I was fortunate to find plastic containers that I could put the sorted supplies in. They would go from my suitcase to the shelves in the sewing center in Rwanda.all sorted and organized.

Thank you all for your generous giving!!

*Sewing supplies
*The sorters
*Some of the 34 that gave supplies
*Barb Taylor, sewer extraordinaire

No comments:

Post a Comment