Saturday, June 15, 2013

Goats and Kira

Kira, a PSU Schreyer Student in Veterinary Science and International Development. She was on the August team and now is on the current team in Rwanda. Her thesis topic has been approved - The Study of Goat Operations/Herding in Rwanda.

Kira ~~ I have been extremely grateful to the farmers here in the Muhunga District for their willingness to speak with me about their goat operations. So far, I have spoken with 3 farmers and/or farm managers, as well as with two veterinary students and Eugene, the veterinarian here at Urukundo.

With the farm managers, I discussed the types of problems and constraints they have encountered while raising goats here in Rwanda. The major problem appears to be diseases and parasites. I was surprised to find that most people consider cattle the most profitable and goats the least profitable of livestock ventures. This was shocking to me because of all the research I had performed prior to coming to Rwanda spoke of the profitability and benefits of raising goats over cattle. I guess the information depends on the bias of the researcher.

Eugene, the farm manager, had some great suggestions in terms if improving goat herding. First and foremost, improved access to laboratory diagnostic tests would more readily allow vets to diagnose and subsequently treat diseases with which they may be dealing. In addition, more demonstration farms, such as the one being operated by Mama Arlene at Urukundo, would be more beneficial to educate local farmers in better animal husbandry and disease treatment techniques.

The vet students I spoke with also offered great perspective about the field of veterinary medicine in Rwanda. It is seen as a highly coveted field with many jobs available upon graduation. Interestingly, sector vets only need to complete secondary school, whereas district level vets must complete 4 years of university. District vets provide direction and instruction to sector vets actually working in the field.

Needless to say, I have had an incredible experience speaking with all these individuals. I am learning a great deal about goat herding practices and veterinary medicine in Rwanda. I still have another goat herder to interview before I leave for the US. I can't wait to see the techniques they use!!

Photos of goats at Urukundo and at a farm taken on several trips.





No comments:

Post a Comment