Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Books for Rwanda Pt 2

Linda Duerr is an early childhood educator for over 35 years and is now finding a wonderful balance in working with future early childhood education teachers in the College of Education as well as with children of all ages in the children’s garden at the Arboretum at Penn State. “I think of sharing books as invitations to connect. Reading a book to one child or a group is an opportunity to converse. Sharing stories is the way we have connected people for generations and the images, words and stories in shared books can bring us together across a room or the wide world. When I consider that, through my support of Hope Made Real, a child or a teacher in Rwanda may be enjoying a book that I helped make its journey to their hands…I feel good!”

"Steve and I are happy to have the opportunity to sponsor children's books for the school library in Rwanda. Reading was my favorite subject to teach when I was an elementary school teacher. I enjoyed encouraging my students who already had a love for books and reading. And I loved the challenge of changing the minds of children who "hated reading". To me, that was the most satisfying part of teaching. Now that Steve and I have a grandchild, we are so happy to have the opportunity to experience children's books through him. We hope that the children in Rwanda become avid readers and feel the joy that comes with experiencing literature.” Sandy & Steve Elbin







No comments:

Post a Comment