Friday, February 10, 2017

Soroptimist

I have been so fortunate to have this dynamic group of ladies working with me for several years.

Soroptimist is a global women’s organization whose members volunteer to improve the lives of women and girls through programs leading to social and economic empowerment. Approximately 76,000 Soroptimists in over 120 countries and territories support community–based and global projects benefiting women and girls.

At my first meeting with State College Soroptimist, I shared a powerpoint presentation with them. Its amazing how well photos tell the story!! They were very excited to support our initial need, the Urukundo School's preschool feeding program and supported it for 2 years.

Then a new need was presented...to provide funding for a new Mom and Baby Community Outreach. We needed resources for vitamins, medications, diapers and a part-time midwife. Such generosity. They continue to support this but wanted to be even more personally connected.

So knitters from the group decided to knit baby hats and sweaters and added receiving blankets and a card from the group. This past fall/winter I attended a meeting where they presented me with their beautiful gifts! I can't wait to share them with the new moms when I am there in March.

Thank you Soroptimist for all you do to help so many women and children throughout the world.





No comments:

Post a Comment