Friday, October 28, 2011

Colors of Rwanda

The colors are so powerful in Rwanda. I love all the clothing of the women in traditional dress which is usually worn by the older women in rural areas. Most were seen at the market in the nearby community.

I was fortunate to go food shopping with Monic (Monique), our cook, at the outdoor market and that's where I found these and other amazing photos. Some ask for money which it is recommended we don't do. I always ask to take their photos and most times they will let me. Afterwards they are thrilled to see their photo. I was surprised when I was at the potato and banana vendor and saw a woman with a Wegman's t-shirt. The US is everywhere on t-shirts. The peppers at the market were the tiniest things about 2 inches long and are supposed to pack a powerful flavor.

One day I went to see three of the King's Palaces. One was a reproduction of the king's hut, the second is where the photo was taken. This home was lived in until the 1950's. It is now for tourists to visit.

This country has so much for the eye to see. Sometimes it's hard to take it all in. But there are moments of beauty in the midst of such poverty. You just need to be open to what is placed before you.


1 comment: