Friday, March 27, 2015

Blessings on the Farm 2

Nzoza, Jovith, and Habimana have taught me so much- not only about how to gather eggs, milk a cow, clean the rabbit’s water bottles, or hand cut grass for the cows to eat, but about service and humility. They have been so gracious to me in teaching me how to do different things, since I came in as a learner who knew close to nothing about how to do their job.

At first it was hard because I felt like such a burden and as if I wasn’t really helping them- which I wasn’t. But that's what I'm learning. I am learning how to be the one who is learning, the one who has no idea what's going on, the one who doesn't know what is being talked about most of the time, the one who gets to sit and watch them do different jobs that are not appropriate for women here- I am learning that I don't always have to be the one serving someone else or the one in control of a situation. I am learning to soak up the opportunity of just being together.

I am learning to receive the blessing of being served, and in that I am learning about what humility truly looks like; both in their service to me and in my learning how to receive it. Whether it be scrubbing my hands for me if they think I haven’t washed them well enough after a cleaning job, sharing their breakfast with me, or giving me their jacket to sit on while I watch them do a job they say is a “bad” job for me to do- they have shown me great care and service.

I am so thankful to the Lord for these friendships, and for all the Lord has revealed to me about Himself and His kingdom through these young men. ~ Abby Harrelson







No comments:

Post a Comment