Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Sewing Center

EMPOWERMENT is the best way to describe our sewing center. It has been open for 1 year, has had 1 class of 5 graduate in January with a certificate and 1 new student taking a 3 month class. A 12 month class will begin with 8 students in July.

I spoke with three, Esther 21 yrs, Melanie 25 yrs and Janette 19yrs. They all completed school just to the 6th grade. Their life consisted of doing chores while living at home.

Esther shared "I had sewn a little but was excited to take the class. Now I can solve my own problems and buy what I need with my own money. I like to be independent. Sewing allows me to make anything that is requested, uniforms, purses, traditional clothing or fashion clothing.

Melanie said, "It is important to be self-reliant. I am no longer a burden to my family. I am making my parents' life easier. I can pay my own health insurance. My favorite things to sew are children's school uniforms.

Therese, our instructor, had been a primary school teacher. She learned to sew 4 years ago and taught elsewhere for 3 years. She lives close by and was proud to be selected as the instructor when she started 1 year ago.

NEXT the center will move to a location nearby on the main road and will sell items they make. I had fun selecting fabric at a local market so they can begin sewing. Wait until you see what I am bringing home!!!

Enjoy the smiles of these girls that have a new opportunity through our Urukundo Sewing Center.

*Esther and Therese

*Melanie

*Janette still a student

*Maggie our school Director designs and Therese our teacher sews her original designs








1 comment:

  1. Carol ~ Your pictures are amazing .... I love reading about all that you are experiencing in Rwanda. Clearly you are where you are meant to be right now, spreading your love, concern and kindness.

    ReplyDelete