Friday, March 7, 2014

Teachers 1

I have had many teachers ask me how can they help with the ministry in Rwanda. How can they share their gifts. How can they provide teaching resources that could be used in the classrooms especially as our children move on to 2nd and soon 3rd grade. Here are their reflections as they share their gifts. The materials they are preparing will be introduce to the teachers for their review. They will also be used in our library for children and families throughout our community.

Sandy Elbin ~~~ "I graduated from Penn State University in 1977 with a degree in Elementary and Kindergarten Education. I stayed home with our 5 children until our last child was in third grade. At that time I started teaching. I was a substitute teacher for 1 year, and then taught full time for 8 years. In that period of time, I had the opportunity to teach three different grades: second, fourth and fifth. I have enjoyed wearing the teacher hat again. I always liked the planning aspect of teaching. It is especially exciting and rewarding to be involved in the education mission of Rwanda. What a great opportunity to constructively combine my deep faith and passion for children."

B.J. Rhodes ~~~ I chose the book Windblown by Edouard Manceau because it looked like it was a fun story with great possibilities for creativity. I liked the way the title was written on the cover in a whimsical way. I loved the way the wind blew the shapes and transformed them into different animals. I believe this book will compel the children to use their imagination to create their own animals in addition to learning about the wonder of the wind.". B.J. cut out the shapes that were in the book from paint chips. The children will use these colorful pieces to make their own animals and creations. This makes teaching about colors, shapes, sizes, numbers, animals and discovery FUN!

*Sandy Elbin worked on a school partnership project about "My Day" and "Time". Children will discuss in class what they do on a school day, a Saturday or a Sunday. Then they will choose a topic to write about and draw. These will be shared with schools in State College.

*B.J. Rhode's project "Windblown"





No comments:

Post a Comment